Tuesday, January 26, 2010

A Very Short Story

The Hemingway style was brief. Condensed. He once wrote this very short story:
For sale: baby shoes, never worn.
 It was only six words long. Wired Magazine once asked a group of writers to write a very short story, and published the results. They're here, and they're all entertaining. It's hard to pick a favorite, but I like Eileen Gunn's a lot:
Computer, did we bring batteries? Computer?
Six word stories are fun to write. They're super condensed, like haiku. Try one -- you may find that you enjoy writing a very short story once in awhile.


2 comments:

  1. I love 6 word stories. I was so inspired by Hemingway's example that I started creating writing contests. I hosted one in our children's school and had entries from all ages.

    The beautiful thing is that everyone was writing and having fun! I even had stories from 5 year olds.

    I write about 6 word stories a lot on my blog. They are great for encouraging writers to write.

    Here's one for you:
    "Girl elopes...boy "forgets"...parents relieved."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! Six word stories have to be so stripped down that they leave a lot to the imagination. But that's the fun part!

    ReplyDelete